2020 HPSN, Anies: Waste Recycling is Our Future

Reporter : Rezki Apriliya Iskandar | Editor : Nugroho Adibrata | February 21st, 2020 06:05 PM 18:05 WIB | Dibaca 370 kali
2020 HPSN, Anies: Waste Recycling is Our Future (Foto : Reza Hapiz / Beritajakarta.id)

The Jakarta Provincial Government commemorates the peak of 2020 National Waste Concern Day (HPSN) together with the citizens and PKK activists in RW 03, Cempaka Putih Timur Urban Village, Cempaka Putih Sub-district, Central Jakarta, on Friday (2/21).

"What we have to build in Jakarta is a change in mind set "

RW 03 area in Cempaka Putih Timur is one of the regional pilot models that have successfully implemented good waste management at the household level.

On that occasion, Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan urged all people in Jakarta to start reducing, sorting and processing waste from the household level. He recalled the 15-years ago incident about a waste landslide, which was later, celebrated as HPSN.

"In this morning, we recall an incident in Leuwigajah, Cimahi in 2005 that does not want to be repeated. Can you imagine, waste landslide hit two villages and caused 157 victims," he expressed, as quoted by Jakarta PPID's press release.

This incident should bring wisdom to a change of mind set in waste management and waste should be seen as the residue from daily activities that can be reused.

"What we have to build in Jakarta is a change in mind set, whereby there is something we can take and what is called residual that can be reused or popularly known as Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, this is our future," he explained.

He also said that the target of waste that can be managed is 30 percent at the household level. While the remaining 70 percent, will be processed through Integrated Waste Processing Sites (TPST) or reused with economic added value, such as energy.

"So, hopefully, this place will become a pilot thus people from various regions will come, watch closely, and InsyaAllah, they can apply it in their respective places. If we can manage this waste properly, our environment will be healthier, our children, families and communities will also grow better," he uttered.

He went on to say that the ecology and economics could actually go hand in hand, as they have the same basic words namely oikos or household. Therefore he wanted economy could also increasingly move through the use of waste management.

"Hopefully our city will be free of waste. The picture here I think reflects organic waste, paper waste, electronic waste, toxic waste, plastic waste, metal waste and household residue. These are the remains that we have to sort out from the beginning. Hopefully this goes well and Jakarta can be an example of a modern city in waste management," he closed.

TOP