Expansive sidewalks revitalization projects are underway in Jakarta amid plans to a more pedestrian-friendly city. This time, Jakarta Bina Marga Road Agency targeting five roads in Kebayoran Baru area, South Jakarta with the concept of Complete Street, which will take place on May to December.
" Rp 6.5 billion will be released to make it happen"
Jakarta Bina Marga Road Agency Head Hari Nugroho disclosed those five roads are including on Jalan Senopati, Jalan Suryo, Jalan Wolter Monginsidi, Jalan Trunojoyo, and Jalan Gunawarman with a total length of approximately 4.6 km.
"Rp 6.5 billion will be released to make it happen," he expressed, Monday (3/1).
He explained the Complete Street concept in question is revitalizing road space according to its function to accommodate all the needs of road users.
"We want to give more spaces for pedestrians, cyclists, and users of public transportation," he explained.
According to him, the Kebayoran Baru area i s a destination for residence, business, shopping centers and tourism with the potential for developing culinary tourism. Therefore it needed the support of other public facilities by not eliminating its identity as a Cultural Heritage Area and turning it into a transit oriented development (TOD) area.
"TOD provides easy pedestrian accessibility and easiness to access various modes of transportation in the area, like MRT, BRT, and non-BRT buses," he stated.
Here are the objectives of the sidewalk revitalization projects in Kebayoran Baru, South Jakarta:
1. Supporting the Kebayoran Baru TOD area
2. Supporting 15-minute city mobility for a variety of socio-economic classes
3. Encouraging the shifting of private transportation users by public transportation and/or bicycles
4. Encouraging micro-mobility, mobility of the short direction by non-motorized modes of transportation
5. Revitalizing the aerial cable utility lines to be underground