As reported earlier, fire had gutted the basement of City Council (DPRD) building, Jalan Kebon Sirih, Central Jakarta. Based on the latest report in the field, the condition has returned to conducive and four technicians who had been trapped have been rescued by firemen from Jakarta Fire and Disaster Handling Department.
" We put out the flames using water from in front of the City Hall’s pavilion. The condition is conducive now"
“We put out the flames using water from in front of the City Hall’s pavilion. We’re cooling the scene to prevent new fire sources. The condition is conducive now,” stated Head of Jakarta Fire and Disaster Handling Department, Subejo, Saturday (10/4).
According to Subejo, the fire was triggered by electrical short-circuit on electricity panel and caused thick smoke. As for the four technicians, they suffer shortness of breath after inhaling the smoke.
“The four technicians trapped suffer shortness of breath because the smoke was massive and the room is too narrow. After being evacuated, those technicians were immediately given respiratory assistance,” he explained.
Prior to the incident, Subejo disclosed that some people near the location had heard an explosion sound. One of those people is a security officer named Sarno.
“I happened to be at the scene (at that time). The explosion was loud. It happened around 7.30 AM,” told Sarno.
Fortunately, fire trucks were already put on standby at the City Hall and the fire can be extinguished by 11 fire trucks.