Jakarta Provincial Government collaborates with schools, communities, and citizens to celebrate Chinese New Year 2571 in several public spaces in Jakarta.
" This year, Jakarta Government collaborates with communities and citizens to enliven the Chinese New Year with joy"
This is not the first event held in Jakarta. Previously, Jakarta Government also celebrated several religious events such as Jakarta Muharram Festival 2019 for the Muslims, Deepavali Festival 2019/5121 Kaliyuga for the Hindus-India, and Christmas in Jakarta for the Christians.
In line with Chinese New Year (Imlek)'s theme for this year, The Spirit of Unity, Jakarta Government supports Chinese New Year events, parade and ornaments to decorate the city as the part of cultural acculturation in Jakarta.
For information, numbers of physical forms of Chinese culture acculturation have existed for a long time in Indonesia, for example in Cultural Performance (Chinese-Javanese Shadow Puppets/Wayang, Gambang Kromong), Traditional Clothes (Chinese Batik Lasem, Kebaya Encim, Chinese Wedding Dress), Culinary (Soto, Lontong Cap Gomeh, Siomay, Noodles, Bakpao, Capcay), and Architecture (Cheng Ho Mosque, Al Imtijaz Mosque). Jakarta Government wants to show this kind of cultural acculturation for this year's Chinese New Year.
"This year, Jakarta Government collaborates with communities and citizens to enliven the Chinese New Year with joy. This event is the result of cultural acculturation in Jakarta and it is a part of us. So, I hope citizens can enjoy the entertainment after you work. We also hold Chinese culinary festival that can be enjoyed together with your friends and family. This is why we, Jakarta Government, always call Jakarta belongs to all. Because we want to maintain and grow the equality, togetherness, and fraternity among Jakartans," said Hendra Hidayat, Head of Jakarta Education and Mental Spiritual Bureau, at Jakarta City Hall, Thursday (1/23) as quoted from Jakarta PPID Press Conference.
Jakarta Imlekan is held from January 15 to February 9, 2020 to enliven Chinese New Year or Imlek in Jakarta and here are its variety of events:
1. January 15-February 5 : Chinese Food Festival at Thamrin 10
2. January 23-24 at 5-7PM : Liong (Barongsai), Tanjidor, and Gambang Kromong in front of Grand Hyatt and Dukuh Atas Park
3. January 23-February 9 : Instalation of Imlek decorations and history of 12 Chinese Zodiac Signs at Bundaran HI MRT Station, Dukuh Atas MRT Station, Blok M MRT Station, and Lebak Bulus MRT Station
4. January 24-February 9 : Collaboration Lanterns and Wishing Tree at Thamrin 10
5. January 25 : Barongsai at Thamrin 10
6. January 26 : Barongsai at Car Free Day
7. January 26 at 7PM : Wayang Potehi at Thamrin 10
8. February 1 : Koko Cici Performance
9. February 2 : Stand Up Comedy Performance
10. February 3-9 : Peranakan Festival (Legendary Bakmie and special culinary made by Chinese Descendants or Peranakan) at Thamrin 10
11. February 8 : Wushu Performance at Thamrin 10
Jakarta Government also appreciates cooperation with several collaborators to enliven this year's Imlek. Those are Amurva Bhumi Monastery, SMAN 99 Jakarta, SMAN 22 Jakarta, SMAN 60 Jakarta, SMAN 111 Jakarta, SMAN 39 Jakarta, Paguyuban Sosial Marga Tionghoa Indonesia (PSMTI), and SMA Ignatius Slamet Riyadi.
Next, SMA Wijayakusuma, SMA Kemala Bhayangkari, Forum for Religious Harmony (FKUB), Supreme Council for the Confucian Religion in Indonesia (Matakin), Indonesia Dragon and Lion Sport Federation, Koko Cici Jakarta, Indonesian Buddhist Representatives (Walubi), Indonesian Chinese Islamic Association (PITI), Majelis Lucu Indonesia (MLI), Manual Jakarta, Whiteboard Journal, Rumah Cinta Wayang, Top Tables, Catholic Archdiocese of Jakarta (KAJ), Pasar Jaya, Transjakarta, and MRT Jakarta.
Jakarta Government invites all component of the communities to enliven this year's Imlek at public spaces in Jakarta. Information about performers and event schedules will be updated in social media owned by Jakarta Government and Jakarta Imlekan.