Post clash of street vendors with Satpol PP in National Monument (Monas) area, Central Jakarta, the guard of the city’s icon is tightened by deploying 1,000 Satpol PP personnel to dispel the street vendors from coming back.
"There are 1,000 personnel on guard, spread in several points in Monas. They will guard Monas until indefinite time to secure the area from street vendors "
“ There are 1,000 personnel on guard, spread in several points in Monas. They will guard Monas until indefinite time to secure the area from street vendors . If the situation was conducive, the number of personnel will be reduced. We want Monas to sterile from street vendors,” stated Head of Jakarta Satpol PP Kukuh Hadi Santosa to beritajakarta.com, Tuesday (6/17).
In the raid held on Monday (6/16), there had been resistance from the street vendors. From 1,000 personnel deployed, two of them were injured on their heads due to got hit by hard objects.
“Two of our men suffered injuries on their heads when there was stone throwing. But, we managed to clean Monas from street vendors in an hour,” told Santosa.
Beforehand, Acting Jakarta Governor Basuki Tjahaja Purnama explained that raid against street vendors in Monas was held because their presence was very disturbing. Moreover, Jakarta Provincial Government has many programs scheduled in that area.
“There were 7,000 street vendors in Monas, but most of them do not own Jakarta ID cards,” he said.
Basuki asserted that Jakarta Provincial Government will not hesitate to take affirmative action in controlling street vendors in Monas. Besides those street vendors doing resistance, their actions were also threatening, including murdering threats.
“Our fence welders were threatened to be killed, pointed with machetes and sickles. That’s why we guard them. Later if the street vendors fought back, just shoot them with electricity gun. I only promise not going to use batons, but never promise to use gun, don’t I?” he uttered.